A project of The Hills & Districts Chamber of Commerce Inc
Welcome to the first edition (June 2022) of Over The Hills (and still going) news. How do you like the title!!!
When the Senior Committee was formed, it found that these were some of the issues for Seniors.
- Lack of technology skills that increase isolation and diminish engagement socially and/or commercially.
- Finding purpose in their lives.
- Being able to find trustworthy resources and people
- Finding opportunities to contribute.
The Senior Committee is intended to:
- Identify unmet needs of Seniors.
- Identify opportunities for Seniors to contribute their time, talents and resources for the betterment of our community.
- Establish initiatives to address both Social and Commercial needs and wants.
- Assist Seniors to increase their technology skills.
We have already established two goals:
If you feel isolated or lonely – a bit unsure of getting ‘out and about’ or would just like to have a coffee or tea with someone, why not join us over a quiet morning tea just to ‘break the ice’. You will be our guest.
Social Activity & trying to eliminate isolationSeniors Lunches are now on the social agenda, meeting some of the social needs in our area. Our next lunch is Christmas in July on Thursday 14th July at the Arana Leagues Club. Our lunch last October was a success so we are building on this base.
If this is for you, contact Leonard 0417 883 688 or Judith 0431 159 921
If you are a bit unsure of your iPhone or tablet, its uses and what you could be doing with it (that is ‘not throwing it out the window’) why not contact your local library – they will help you. Also, we will have people – seniors like yourself – who do know something about these necessary items and can show you how to get started. There is also Brisbane Seniors On Line for the more advanced.
- Contact your local libraries for their activities. Library staff are happy to assist you. You can use their computers and they will help you set up your reader so you can use e-books – just a few clicks and you have books to read. Check them out on line.
Beat Isolation and Join a club
- Mitchelton Senior Citizens has many social activities just phone 3355 0358 for more info. Address 30 Tel El Kebir St, Mitchelton
- Older Women’s Network Qld Mitchelton Branch for our activities. Call Judith 0431 159 921
- Mitchelton Day Club meet every Wednesday and have many activities. 0423176504
- Arana and District Seniors Citizens Club. Meets 291 Dawson Parade Arana Hills 0406 601 589
- Enoggera & District Historical Society Inc call 0475 353 550 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mitchelton & District Garden Club call Pat 3356 1256
- Hills Organic Community Garden. Sunday 3 to 5pm at 416 Bunya Road near the dog off leach park. 3851 1038 check out hog.org.au
- Ferny Grove Garden Club call Elizabeth 3851 0568
- Interested in craft, Haberdashery Thrift Shop at The Nest Community open 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday, 720 South Pine Road Everton Park. Contact them on 33557341
- Like Knitting etc. Try Knitting for the Needy Arana Hills Library. Contact Diane 0450 306 818
- Try OnLine Crafts – A Place to Create phone 3851 2200 for details.
- North Brisbane Cake Decorators. Meet 3rd Saturday at Arana Hills Community Centre 291 Dawson Pde. Arana Hills . Check out on their facebook. 0407 830 704
Probus Arana Hills are holding an Information morning 16th June 10am to noon at Arana Leagues Club. Please RSVP for this event – Barbara 0402 750 367
- Arana View Club – Contact Karen 0403 167 690
- Enoggera Bowls Club. Bowling under cover. Many other activities. Call 0477 440 255
- The Hills PCYC 35a Olearia St Everton Hills have plenty of activities for Seniors. Just contact them on 3855 1980
- Arana Hills Men’s Shed phone Glen 0407648130 or Brian 0407754078
Look out for our Over the Hills activities Coming up soon. How does small group meeting in a park, chatting or doing Art, Books, Music – !!!! Interested: Contact John on 0448 186 115 More next Edition.
By joining any club you will meet likeminded people. You can broaden your knowledge as well as making new friends. All the clubs need volunteesr to help with administration and activities so why not use your skills. We all have untapped skills that can assist others or we can learn new skills, keeping our brains active. While you are helping others you are also helping yourself – volunteering is good for the soul and your general health.
Why not visit the hillschamber.org.au/committees/senior-committee/
Senior Committee Contacts:
Judith 0431 159 921
Carolyn 0448 328 914