Why run a ‘shop local’ campaign? Firstly, because they Work!
A recent study by the Institute For Local Self Reliance (US) showed that towns with a shop local campaign had almost three times the revenue growth of those that didn’t.
On top of this, businesses got even more benefits from the campaigns than just revenue:
- 42% said the campaign had improved the loyalty of their existing customers
- 41% said the promotions brought new customers to their business
- 62% reported the campaign increased local media coverage of independent businesses
- 47% said the messaging made officials more aware and supportive of independent businesses 42% said it had led to more collaboration, purchasing and mutual support among local businesses.
Here are five more great reasons why spending locally is so powerful:
- Buy Local– Support yourself – where we shop, eat and have fun is all part of making our community ‘home’.
- Create More Good Jobs – Small local businesses are the largest employers Nationally and are committed to keeping those jobs local rather than shipping them out to a ‘head office’.
- Invest in Community – Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave when things get tough and have more invested in our community’s future.
- Keep Our Community Unique– Locally owned businesses are part of the distinctive character of our towns. Not only is this great for us – but also to potential visitors and tourists. No one needs to travel to see a main street full of franchises.
- Get Better Service – Local businesses often hire people with better understanding of the produce they are selling.